The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Partridge in a Pear Tree!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:30 am 

Hi Society!

Well, tis the season to be jolly, and I most certainly am. I love mince pies! Not to mention the fact that I get to be an elf at work this weekend. Epic. Anyhow, just thought it was about time that I kept you updated on everything that's happened, is happening and is going to happen in our lovely Society at this moment in time. Read on for more!

1. Fundraising
2. Events
3. Hoodies
4. Wedding Singer

And just on a small interspersion, how does Good King Wenceslas like his pizza? Deep-pan, crisp and even! OK, no more :)

Post subject: Re: A Partridge in a Pear Tree!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:31 am 

1. FUNDRAISING
Many thanks to everyone who bought cakes, baked cakes, and helped man the cake stall a couple of weeks ago in some absolutely horrendous weather. You should be proud to hear that your efforts raised over £200 for the Society in just two days!

Also many thanks to everyone that came to the ceilidh and either presented their services for auction or bought something silly. If everyone pays their dues we should happily have gained some much-needed funds for the Society - for a list of said dues, head on over to the forum at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=403 ! The Wax Rob Conglomerate eludes me, as I have no idea who you are - if you consider yourself a part of it, please let me know and I will ensure that you get a strip of wax provided that you pay, whenever waxing time may come!

And finally, when doing your Christmas shopping online, don't forget about Easyfundraising! By simply using the links on http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/tcsoc to access an online store, you will donate money to the Society at no cost to yourself - note that you have to register first, but this is free, quick and easy, and could really benefit us. While we're here, we shouldn't forget about the sister site Easysearch as well - by using http://tcsoc.easysearch.org.uk to search the web, you can raise money for the Society while you're at it. Glorious!

2. EVENTS
With just a week left now until the Christmas event, if you haven't managed to vote in the forum poll for your preferred Christmas film yet, you'd better get a move on! Head over to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=390 to vote, but note that you have to log in to do so! If you are having trouble registering or logging in, just send an email detailing your problem and we should be able to fix it in a jiffy. A reminder that the event will be in PJ Champs on WEDNESDAY 16th December, in a change from our usual night so that we can actually be served alcohol!

We are of course having a break for Christmas soon, but I just wanted to give you all some advance warning about events next semester. You can see a detailed listing at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/calendar but of particular note are:

POSTER DAY - Exactly what it says on the tin; we all club together on a Saturday some time in January to poster the heck out of the West End, and hopefully generate some ticket sales in the process. This event is really important in terms of publicising the show, so please try and make it if you can - date will be confirmed ASAP!

BURNS SUPPER AND SHOW WEEK - If you take a gander at the calendar mentioned above you will see that there are a total of 4 events which require a generous flat to host them. If you think that you could be convinced to let a lovely bunch of Cecilians invade your property for one of these evenings then please take a look at the details and email either me or Yasmin (on social@ceciliansociety.co.uk) ASAP!

3. HOODIES
As you will hopefully know already, the Society will soon be putting in another order for our glorious hoodies, modelled by many at rehearsals and around campus. If you wish to purchase one of these fine garments, please give your name, size and the name you wish on the hoodie to Laura McLuskey by the Christmas event on Wednesday 16th December. You also need to give her full payment of £20 by this date or your order will not be placed! More details can be found at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=404 including sizes. Laura can be emailed on vice-president@ceciliansociety.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 am 

4. WEDDING SINGER
Just a scary statistic for you: as of today, it is 76 days until opening night. As of the first rehearsal back after Christmas (Thursday 14th January 2010, get it in the diaries!), it will be 41 days. That's not long! Please keep doing all that you can over the holidays to ensure that we have a show to come back to; it's absolutely no use if we have forgotten everything by January. Sing in the shower and dance for your cat!

Similarly, we need to sell tickets to finance this show! Ticket sales have been good so far, but they do still need to be better, and I'm sure that they can be! Use every means at your disposal for ticket sales (give out the website address, http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/tickets - everything is on there), and look out for the arrival of flyers very early next year!

Last but not least, it would be a good idea to take a quick look at Laura Bauld's post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=405 regarding costume. Costume for this show has the potential to become very complex very quickly, so if we all start to sort it now it should (fingers crossed) be less of an issue later on. A quick addendum to this as well: please don't spend horrendous amounts of money on costume! Scour charity shops, Primark etc., and as Laura mentions we will be having a large rumble about in the stores very soon and should be using as much as we can from there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 am 

And I think that just about concludes what is likely to be my last email to you in 2009. Remember to buy all the gifts you can using Easyfundraising, order a hoodie if you wish, keep thinking about the show, and vote on and come to the Christmas film showing next Wednesday. If I don't see you there, or even if I do, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I'll see you in January for even more exciting 80s action! As always, if you have any questions at any time don't hesitate to ask.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

With many joyous wishes and much festive love,

Ben Galloway | Cecilian Secretary | secretary@ceciliansociety.co.uk | 07791073352

"It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that, while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour." (Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 pm 

You get to be an elf at work? Jealous.