The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Tiny Tasty Chewy Sweets
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:33 pm 

Hi Society!

It's Millions! You remember them, don't you? They were wonderful. And there are also millions of things in this email, as there's just so much coming up and happening with the Society that that's the only way I could tell you about it all! (OK, perhaps 'millions' is a slight exaggeration. You still deserve an outline before we start though, and here it is!)

1. Christmas Choir
2. 80s Night
3. Cake Stall
4. Ceilidh
5. Wedding Singer

Post subject: Re: The Tiny Tasty Chewy Sweets

1. CHRISTMAS CHOIR
Everyone loves Christmas, and none more so than the Cecilians! As you may or may not know, it has become something of a tradition that every year the Society will form a choir and take the magic of Christmas music to the people of Selkirk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkirk) at their own request!

Once again we have been asked to perform in Selkirk this year on Saturday 5th December, and so Christmas Choir rehearsals will start TONIGHT at 7pm in the Music Department and all are welcome; feel free to also bring suggestions for pieces to sing. If you don't get this in time then you can always come along to the next rehearsal on Monday which will be at 7pm in the GUU.

2. 80s NIGHT
Many of you will know by now that THIS FRIDAY 13th November will see the Cecilians hit Reflex, the 80s bar! (http://www.reflexbars.co.uk/reflexglasgow/) From 8pm you can come along and join the party, and feel free to get your 80s gear out as well - the bar will be providing mullet wigs and Madonna boobs! For more details check the Facebook event at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=169322291790

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm 

3. CAKE STALL
"Money. I like it, I use it. I have a little, I keep it in the jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put some more in that jar. That's where you come in." So said Adam Sandler to... Glen Guglia, and the Society is in a similar situation. Only we don't keep our money on top of anyone's refrigerator. We would, however, like some more of it, and promise to use it to put on a spectacular show called The Wedding Singer! Asking Adam Sandler for some of his money didn't work, so we're moving to the next best thing: a cake stall.

On Tuesday 24th and Wednesday 25th November, the Society will be holding a cake stall outside the QMU, and we thus need three things - if you wish to provide any of them, please do! Firstly, we need cakes to sell, so if you want to bake anything, just do so and bring it along on the day(s) from 10am. Secondly, we need people to help sell the cakes to innocent bystanders by randomly shouting 'cake!' every so often. If you fancy doing this then just reply to this email; even if you can only spare an hour or two that would be most helpful. And thirdly, we need cake buyers! Encourage everyone you know to buy cake, or you could even do so yourself. Yum.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm 

4. CEILIDH
The annual Society St. Andrew's Ceilidh will be held this year on Monday 30th November, which for once is actually St. Andrew's Day! Tickets are £5 and available NOW from Yasmin (social@ceciliansociety.co.uk) and all are welcome. See the Facebook event (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=202226994111) for full details. Do note, though, that dress for the ceilidh is smart-casual; you don't need to go all out for this one!

Now, slightly more pressingly, each year at the ceilidh we hold an auction, where some weird and wonderful items are sold to our members. Some are pieces of Society memorabilia, for example the giant axe and the bumblebee costume, and some are services that people would like to offer, for example a date with Colin Bryce, which, if I remember correctly, raised less than the cheesecake which was also on offer. You get the idea - we need things to auction! If you wish to offer such an item or service for auction at the ceilidh then please get in touch with Emma Stuart (fundraising@ceciliansociety.co.uk) ASAP!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm 

5. WEDDING SINGER
My goodness, nearly there! There's still a small ton of things going on with the show though: for one, tickets are NOW ON SALE! And it would be most helpful if you and your ticket team could sell as many as possible. For more details on ticket teams and how you can buy tickets, see the forum thread at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387

You may also be interested to have a look at the poster which has been chosen to publicise the show! It still has a few tweaks to be made, but you can view the wonderful design submitted by our multi-talented Choreographer Amy Fieldhouse in this forum thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=374

And finally, from your esteemed Director, is the full rehearsal schedule until the Christmas break, which can be found on the forum in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=386

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm 

So, after all that, I think you deserve a summary as well! Christmas Choir rehearsals start tonight, and are on next Monday as well. Friday sees the glorious 80s Club Night, and two weeks today we will be selling cakes! And on the very last day of the month, we will be dancing the night away at a traditional ceilidh with not-so-traditional auction. If you need a recap on any of the Society's upcoming events, see the calendar at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/calendar .

As always if you have any questions just drop me an email, or if you want to contact Lorna about something specifically show-related you can email her on director@ceciliansociety.co.uk . Now if anyone is inspired to bake a Millions cake I will be most pleased...

Ben Galloway | Cecilian Secretary | secretary@ceciliansociety.co.uk | 07791073352