The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Risky Business
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm 

Totally forgot to post this (again!) when I sent it, so here are the items that are still in date!

Hi Society!

Well, a bit more news for you this week, and there will be more to follow fairly soon. But before we get onto that, allow me to say hello and welcome to anyone new to this mailing list! Presumably this will be because you've signed up to do the revue, which is great. If, however, you wish to be removed from the list at any time, just reply to this email and I'll take you out. Of the list, that is. Anyway, we have:

1. Revue Business
2. Social
3. Hoodies
4. Carmen Business

1. Revue Business
First of all, an administrative point: if you have recently joined us (whether again, or for the first time) then before we can let you on stage we must have you pay your membership fees! This is so we can officially consider you a member of the Society and thus have you insured in case anything happens to you during a performance - lighting rigs falling down and the like, not that this has ever occurred before...

Anyway, if you haven't paid yet then please speak to a member of the committee ASAP - just ask around if you don't know who we are, you'll get to one of us eventually. We're on the website at www.ceciliansociety.co.uk as well; click on 'Committee' at the top. If you're completely new to the Society the fee is just £3, and it's a bit more if you've been with us before - ask for details!

OK, that done, I should now point out that the revue will be performed on Saturday 21st March in the GUU Debates Chamber at 2.30pm and 7.30pm. I will then point out that this date is less than four weeks away, so, you guessed it, it's time for us to start selling tickets again!

Ideally we need everyone to sell more than 10 tickets, which are priced at £5 for normal people and £4 for students or other concessions. Your Ticket Manager Laura McMeekin will be taking ticket orders from this Thursday 26th February, so get selling and speak to her for any more info and the many order forms you will require.

2. Social
The highlight of the Cecilian social calendar, the annual Dinner Dance, will take place this year on Friday 1st May in the GUU. As the name suggests, this consists of dinner including hilarity and speeches, followed by ceilidh dancing! Dress code is formal and tickets are available NOW, priced £35, by speaking to social convenor Colin Bryce or by email to social@ceciliansociety.co.uk . Be there or be square, as they sometimes say.

Before that of course will be the annual end-of-term Weekend Away, which this year will be at the Invergarry Lodge (Google it) from Friday 27th March to Sunday 29th March. The price for this event is still to be confirmed as transport is still being sorted, but is usually in the region of £35-£40. As soon as we have a confirmed price I will let you know and we will then start taking bookings, which will have to work on a first-come (with payment!) first-served basis.

3. Hoodies
As you may already know or have seen, we have lovely new Cecilian hoodies, with the logo embroidered on the front and your name on the back, all for the very reasonable price of £20. We are pleased to be in a position to be able to put in a second order, so if you would like to order a(nother) hoodie then please speak to Esther at rehearsals or via vice-president@ceciliansociety.co.uk and give her your cash on or before Sunday 1st March (THIS SUNDAY!)

4. Carmen Business
Last but not least, some residual Carmen items. If anyone has or knows the whereabouts of, or catches a vague glimpse of at all, any libretti (that's scripts/scores to you and me) then please let Laura McMeekin know by either finding her or emailing company_manager@ceciliansociety.co.uk ASAP. Or even better, just give it back if you still have one!

So, a quick recap: pay membership if you haven't already, and contact Laura McMeekin if you have any libretti. Sell some tickets for the revue and speak to Laura McMeekin to order them! If you want a hoodie, contact Esther, and if you would like to come to the Dinner Dance, give £35 to Colin Bryce. If you want to come on the Weekend Away, stay tuned!

As always, just reply to this email or speak to me if you have any questions, and I'll hopefully see you tomorrow!

Ben Galloway | Cecilian Secretary | secretary@ceciliansociety.co.uk