The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 'Cecilian' has two 'C's in it...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:54 am 

...and this email has a heck of a lot more! For some reason, all of the items to be communicated in this message begin with the letter C (some perhaps more readily than others)! Personally I believe it is a mystical connection, to do with the fact that the Cecilian shows this year are Calamity Jane and Carmen. I will now fight with all my might to name the revue with a c-word. Not the c-word though. Anyway, we have:

1. Ceilidh
2. Cakes
3a. Cast Contribution
3b. Countdown to Carmen
3c. Come on, cell Carmen tickets!
4. Cecilians celebrate human rights

Post subject: Re: 'Cecilian' has two 'C's in it...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 am 

1. Ceilidh
The annual Cecilian St. Andrew's Day ceilidh will be held TOMORROW, Tuesday 2nd December, from 8pm in the GUU Debates Chamber. Tickets are £6 and if the ceilidh band's musical surprises aren't enough to entice you, the auction should be! To buy a ticket in advance speak to Colin (social@ceciliansociety.co.uk) but they will be available on the door. If you wish to auction anything (objects, oddities, services, yourself) or donate anything to the raffle, speak to Yasmin (fundraising@ceciliansociety.co.uk). Hope to see you all there!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 am 

2. Cakes
On Thursday 4th December the Society will be holding a Cake Sale outside the QM from 9am, pending permission. Please do any or all of the following: make some cakes, buy some cakes, tell your friends to buy cakes, and come and help sell the cakes! If you would like to help just drop me an email reply, or indeed just turn up on the day, and if you would like to bake anything then please do so, and again bring it along on Thursday. If you want to let me know that you're doing so, please do, but it's not essential.

A quick reminder that this Thursday will also see our EGM to ratify the show. Please be at rehearsals before 6.45pm, as we need a quorum, and more importantly, as we need you to participate in a democratic society. How profound. You could even buy some cakes and eat them in the EGM if there's any left!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:56 am 

3. Carmen
a. Cast Contribution
Just a reminder that your cast contribution should be paid to Laura Bauld before the end of term, and is a minimum donation of £6. I'm so excited that both 'cast' and 'contribution' begin with a 'c'!

b. Countdown to Carmen
Another quick statistic: we have seven full rehearsals left before show week. That's seven as in 7, as in I could assign each rehearsal a Harry Potter book all to itself. That's not many! Please ensure that you turn up to as many rehearsals as possible, and ensure that you give apologies if you absolutely cannot attend, as well as of course performing everything in your spare time to your cat, the mirror, the neighbours, etc.

c. Come on, cell Carmen tickets!
OK, the spelling error was deliberate, and perhaps just done to fit into the theme. But the point stands: we really need you to sell tickets to make this show a success. Another quick statistic: we need to sell about 1200 tickets over the whole week to break even. That's a lot!

Your Ticket Manager Lorna can be contacted on tickets@ceciliansociety.co.uk or at rehearsals, and posters and flyers should be available at rehearsals too. With prizes for the highest sellers, and a target of 5 each before Christmas, there's no reason not to invite everyone you know. Go!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:57 am 

4. Cecilians Celebrate Human Rights
And to top off the C theme, a quick message from GU Amnesty International:

Invite to the event of the year!
G.U.A.I's SECRET POLICEMAN's BALL
Sat 6th Dec- QMU

This year sees the 60th Anniversary of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS, and we at GUAmnesty are holding a huge event that we would like to invite you all to. This will be a night of excellent comedy, music and entertainment from Glasgows up and coming talent.

The whole event is five pounds and all the money raised will go to Amnesty International to help fight for those around the Globe who have thier Human Rights taken away from them.

The Ball will feature amazing comedians such as:
Billy Kirwood, Susan Calman, Jeff O'Boyle, Chris Forbes and Elaine Malcolmson.
Comedy Sketche from THE ATROCITY MACHINE.
The band SPEARBRAVE.
Comedy performances from members of STaG and The Cecilian Society.
To top that off we also have a MAGICIAN.

This will be a night to remember, a celebration of our Human Rights and a cracking night out. Please come to this special event and help your Amnesty Society come out on top. Glasgow AI came 8th last year in a U.K. wide fundraising competition, this year with your help we could come 1ST!

Tickets are available outside the QMU, and on the door, so please come and join with us in celebrating OUR HUMAN RIGHTS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:57 am 

And that's it. To be honest, I'm impressed at my theming. I thought about progressing through the alphabet, but I do see some potential problems with the Fecilian Society putting on Farmen. No, best stick with the 'C's. See you at the ceilidh!

Ciao for now!
Ben
Cecilian Secretary