The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Important Cecilian News
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 am 

Hi all,

Important Cecilian News is indeed abundant in this message, so in the style of my Cosmology lecturer, I'll tell you what I'm going to say, then I'll say it, then I'll tell you what I've said. Here goes:

1. Committee Vacancy
2. Choir for Hire

3. 'Third Term' Project Ideas
4. Fundraising Forum

5. Karaoke
6. Deadline for Payment

Post subject: Re: Important Cecilian News
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am 

1. Committee Vacancy
One ordinary committee member position has become vacant on the Society committee. We will be holding interviews to fill this position sometime in the evening of Thursday 30th October (exact time and place TBC). If you are interested in standing for this position, please let me know before 7pm on Wednesday 29th October. You can either simply reply to this email, or phone/text on 07791073352. If emailing, it would be very useful if you could include a phone number, so we can let you know the time and place of your interview as soon as we decide. Remember, any ordinary member of the Society is eligible to stand, and if you have an inclination then please do so, even if it's just to experience the (very friendly!) interview.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:41 am 

2. Christmas Choir
The Cecilian Society Christmas Choir will start rehearsing THIS MONDAY evening, 27th October, at a time and place which will be announced on the forum ( http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/forum/forum ). The Christmas Choir is available for hire for any event, and we are discussing a few of them at the moment, but our main event is Scott's Selkirk, a Georgian Christmas Fayre in the Borders town of Selkirk, on 6th December. If you wish to participate, keep checking the forum or ask MD Rob at rehearsals, and simply turn up on Monday. If you can't make Monday, or would like more information, just reply to this email.

Also, speaking of the forum, one of our former members is looking for people to take part in a short film, and we have had a message about some summer camps in the USA. Head on over to http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/forum/forum for more details!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:41 am 

3. 'Third Term' Project Ideas
You may have realised that, with Carmen being performed in January, we have a significant gap between then and the end of term. The committee are looking for all plausible ideas for a project to be performed in this time. We will be holding a meeting to discuss this THIS TUESDAY 28th October, so if you have any ideas that you think we should consider, please contact a member of the committee before 6pm on this date. Committee members should be found at all rehearsals, or you can obtain contact details from the website at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=7 . All suggestions are welcome; the more ideas we have to discuss, the better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:42 am 

4. Fundraising Forum
As if we didn't have enough forums (that's fora, isn't it? Damn.), here's another for you. In order to put on Carmen, the Society has set a fundraising target of £500, and we would again like any ideas you have that can help us towards this goal. We will be holding an open meeting (i.e. anyone is welcome to attend) to discuss ideas on Wednesday 5th November at 7pm, venue TBC (check the web forum). If you cannot make this date, you can still let any committee member know your suggestions via the same methods as in 3.!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 am 

5. Karaoke
On Thursday 18th December we will be holding the Cecilian vs. STaG Karaoke in Curlers! If you wish to enter this marvellous event, feel free to start planning your act, costumes, dance routine etc. now - we will be taking names in the very near future. Watch this space!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 am 

6. Deadline for Payment
If you have not paid your membership fees by Thursday 6th November, we cannot allow you to be in the show. We would like you to be in the show, so please pay any dues to Kirsty ASAP. If you're not sure whether or not you've paid, contact Kirsty on membership@ceciliansociety.co.uk or speak to her at rehearsals. There is also more info on the front page of the website at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:44 am 

So, to recap! If you wish to be on committee, take part in the Christmas Choir, or perform at the karaoke - contact Ben, come along on Monday, and get your thinking caps on respectively. If you haven't paid your membership money, do so ASAP, and if you have any ideas for what we could do for a post-Carmen project or to raise funds for Carmen, contact a committee member or come along to the fundraising meeting.

And that's all the important stuff for now. If you need any more info on anything don't hesitate to contact me.

See you soon,
Ben Galloway
Cecilian Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:07 am 

Hi again!

Just a few things I need to bring to your attention regarding the first three items in my previous message:

1. Committee Vacancy
2. Christmas Choir
3. Post-Carmen Project

1. Committee Vacancy/ies
The number of ordinary committee member positions available on the Society committee has now increased to two. In effect the only difference this makes is that two of the people interviewed will be elected to the committee rather than one. If you wish to stand for a position, same rules as before apply:

We will be holding interviews to fill these positions sometime in the evening of Thursday 30th October (exact time and place TBC). If you are interested in standing, please let me know before 7pm on Wednesday 29th October. You can either simply reply to this email, or phone/text on 07791073352. If emailing, it would be very useful if you could include a phone number, so we can let you know the time and place of your interview as soon as we decide. Remember, any ordinary member of the Society is eligible to stand, and if you have an inclination then please do so, even if it's just to experience the (very friendly!) interview. If you can't make Thursday but would still like to stand, please let me know anyway, and we can try to organise a more suitable time.

2. Christmas Choir
The first rehearsal for the Christmas Choir HAS BEEN POSTPONED until next Monday 3rd November. Again, apart from that change all the details before still apply - particularly keep checking the forum at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/forum/forum/ for more details in a thread to begin soon!

3. Post-Carmen Project
No updates here really, just wanted to grab the opportunity to remind you that the committee will be discussing potential projects to be performed between Carmen and the end of term TOMORROW, Tuesday 28th October. If you have any ideas that you think should be considered then please tell a member of the committee before 6pm on this date. Committee contact details are at http://www.ceciliansociety.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=7 and all ideas are welcome!

And that's all for now! If anything else becomes newsworthy I shall let you know.

Ben