The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DANCER AUDITION INFO
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:47 am 

Hello everyone. I went through the audition dance pretty speedily on thurs night so here's a quick break down of the order of everything etc. It probably won't make sense if you weren't there on thurs but I'll be going over it again before the auditions. We're having the auditions after the rehearsal on thursday so I'm afraid you'll be getting home/to the pub rather late. I won't be announcing who we've decided on on Thursday night.

GIRLS
1st 8 counts
-Walking motion-with weight on alternating heels and toes. Leaning to the right, left, right, right. Alternating arms and legs.

2nd 8 counts
-Spirit fingers sweep (what an amazing phrase!)-leaning forwards R to L for 4 counts
-70s disco move-sticking hip out to R and winding R arm up and down for 4 counts. 3rd 8 counts
-60s move-Step onto left leg and bring R arm up. Then do opposite (4 counts).
-Quicker 60s move-Don't move feet this time.Arms the same but quicker. (4 counts)

4th 8 counts
-4 Ripples moving backwards-bringing arms up for 2 ripples (and 4 counts)and down for 2 ripples (and 4 counts).

5th 8 counts
-Jump and land with legs apart facing front L corner. Lean forwards and back. There are three v prominent beats in the music here which is when you move. (It helps if you count this double time. If you do that then you're jumping on 1 Leaning forwards on 4 and waiting for 5678)

6th 8 counts
-Turn over L shoulder and walk round in a circle on 1 and 2. On 3 face front again and bring R arm up.
-Turn over R shoulder towards front and land bent on R leg with L leg stretched out to side.

7th 8 counts
-On 123 bring left arm up. On 4 bounce up onto R tip toe while pointing L arm to front and bending L leg up.
-On 5678 walk round in a clockwise circle. Your footing for this is
L R L kickR.

8th 8 counts
-Continue same but footing is opposite- R L R kickL. You end this facing the front.
-Shimmy to the L(2 counts) and R(2 counts).

9th 8 counts
-On 123 you Tak 3 steps back towards back R corner (RLR). On Jump and turn over R shoulder to face front again and land on L foot with R leg stretched out in front.

GUYS
1st 8 counts
-Walking motion-with weight on alternating heels and toes. Leaning to the right, left, right, right. Alternating arms and legs.

2nd 8 counts
-Reach to R(on 1), then L (3), then up(with R arm, and on 5) and strum imaginary guitar on 678.

3rd 8 counts
-60s move-Step onto left leg and bring R arm up. Then do opposite (4 counts).
-Quicker 60s move-Don't move feet this time.Arms the same but quicker. (4 counts)

4th 8 counts
-Whipping move-Standing with L arm out and R above head.

5th 8 counts
-Jump and land with legs apart facing front L corner. Lean forwards and back. There are three v prominent beats in the music here which is when you move. (It helps if you count this double time. If you do that then you're jumping on 1 Leaning forwards on 4 and waiting for 5678)

6th 8 counts
-Turn over L shoulder and walk round in a circle on 1 and 2. On 3 face front again and bring R arm up.
-Walk in circle clockwise, ending facing front again. (4 counts)

7th 8 counts
-On 123 bring left arm up. On 4 point to front.
-On 5678 walk round in a clockwise circle. Your footing for this is
L R L kickR.

8th 8 counts
-Continue same but footing is opposite- R L R kickL. You end this facing the front.
-Shimmy to the L(2 counts) and R(2 counts).

9th 8 counts
-Turn and face front.

So the basic order of things for girls is

GIRLS
Walking motion
Spirit fingers sweep!
70s disco move
60s move
Ripples
Jump, lean forwards and back
Turn towards back, arm up
Turn to front and point
Walks round self
Shimmys
Turn and jump to corner step-I'm sure I used to know the actual name of that step, anyone else remember it?

And for guys is

BOYS
Walking motion
ReachR,ReachL,Reach up, air guitar
60s move
Whipping move-actually 'lasoo' prob more fitting-why did I immediately go for 'whipping'?
Jump, lean forwards and back
Turn towards back, arm up
Turn to front and point
Walks round self
Shimmys
The end

Not my most articulate walkthrough I think. But you've at least got the order of stuff now. And hopefully the timing. If anyone has any questions just ask.

See you thursday!

Amy