The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Notes Thu 22 Feb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:23 am 

First of all, Sunday is the official start of show week.

Rehearsal with the orchestra starts at 12 noon sharp, in the Turnbull Hall, upstairs in the Catholic Chaplaincy, 15 Southpark Terrace opposite Hillhead School. It is marked as E11 on this map: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_1887_en.pdf

Anyone who still doesn't know where they are going, meet Marion outside the Reading Room at 11.45am and she will guide you.

Sunday will be a long, hard day. The orchestra rehearsal is my only chance to co-ordinate them with you. Please give me your concentration and your patience. The cast have been rehearsing for 10 hours every Sunday since January, plus Thursdays, plus before Christmas. The orchestra have had just over 10 hours in total. Please bear with us.

On to tonight's notes:

Opening Ballad

Good. Can still be tighter - keep up the good work.

My Friends
People singing the Ballad reprise, remember: all of you sing the first "Not Sweeney" at 108

Pirelli's Elixir

Best it's been. Men-please keep up the good work. Matt G - "Wotcher think" was particularly good tonight. Be very careful not to chatter too much when this is done. I know it's exciting, but we're going straight on to Pirelli's entrance and Colin needs to hear the orchestra. As you will hear on Sunday, it is a lot sparser in places than you might expect.

Ballad 10B

Men - entry on "Setting it out for the Beadle to snap" was good, but don't forget to keep going with "Slyly courted 'em Sweeney did"

3 Tenors

Good. We will find time to work this again. Not sure when, but keep harrassing me until we do.

God That's Good

Not good enough.
You can all do this when we go over it, but every single time we run it I can hear Nicky's voice alone on the chorus entries. I know it's hard to find your notes, but it generally gets there fine. If in doubt, sing the tune until you've worked out the key. I know you can nail this one, so I'm not going to let up until you do. I am not letting you on stage with a half-assed effort. You have it in you to wow the crowd. So do it.

Look over the music; practice with the CD; KNOW WHEN YOU'RE COMING IN.

If I have to rip this apart at the orchestra rehearsal, I will not be a happy bunny.

When you do get your entry, please don't get so excited that you shout. The opening "Pirelli" section was...rough...this evening.

Fogg's Asylum
The Demon Barber of Swee-ney

The notes for "Swee-ney" are the same as "mon Bar" of 'Demon Barber'. Just repeat the pattern.

Under the dialogue - change chords together. Me conducting doesn't seem to have any impact on this so pay attention to each other and work it out for yourselves. DON'T BREATH BETWEEN "SWEENEY"s. DON'T GIVE UP half way through. Continuous sound, please.

Finale
Remember that as soon as Rob has his throat slit you are singing "Lift your Razor high"... Nicky has been entrusted with co-ordinating this. Do as she says or she'll lock you in her asylum.

The Finale was really good. Keep it up. Remember that after "Perhaps today you gave a nod" etc, everyone sings "Sweeney wishes the world away" - men included.

It's half one in the morning and I have been typing up notes for the last hour. Please take the time to read and action them. Lorna and I cannot do this show for you. It is up to you to make this work.