The Cecilian Society

The University of Glasgow's only Musical Theatre Society, open to all.
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gilbert, Sullivan and some Swedes.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm 

Hi everyone, just a message from one half of team "one's nice, the other's a bit of a dick" this is just mainly a set of musical notes (geddit?) for the chorus of my section. Please read them and make use of them! I've only got a limited time before heading off out, so for easy digestion, there's a load of bullet points.

1) A compliment. Jimmy looks fantastic.

2) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come in at the beginning of 'Here's a man of Jollity'. I will bring you in, so if there's any doubt, watch me and it should all be made clear! The words are posted below for your convenience, but you really should know them by now...

Here's a man of jollity,
Jibe, joke, jollify!
Give us of your quality,
Come, fool, follify!

If you vapour vapidly,
River runneth rapidly,
Into it we fling
Bird who doesn't sing!

Give us an experiment
In the art of merriment;
Into it we throw
Cock who doesn't crow!

Banish your timidity,
And with all rapidity
Give us quip and quiddity -
Willy-nilly, O!

River none can mollify;
Into it we throw
Fool who doesn't follify,
Cock who doesn't crow!

Banish your timidity, etc.

3) Once you have come in, please don't stand about doing nothing - you are excited that Merty and Ben have come to entertain you and it could possibly be the most exciting moment of your life so far. Please don't take this too far, on a scale of 1 to pants wetting excitement, I think about a 7 should do.

4) When Merty and Ben start to sing, they will have props. Please marvel at these with the appropriate level of amazement/amusement, whichever it ends up being... A few more people sat down would be nice?

5) Again, when you do your ooohs and ahs, I will bring you in for these. For the people who don't like to watch the arm waving at the front, listen out for the word 'gay' in the fourth verse, you then have a while until you come in, but I thought that would be slightly memorable at least...

6) When you move onto the ahs, the music will speed up, crowd around Merty and Ben, who should do an appropriately homosexual dance, and once that is done, you can then clap, just before the music ends!

6a) The people that are supposed to have lines, I will print them off for you in preparation for tomorrow...

7) Gregor will then clear you off the stage, please get off the stage quietly, unlike a herd of elephants [see Carmen notes ;)]

8) And onto the Swedes. Abba medly was good last night, just lacking in energy. I know you've only just had it choreographed, but please keep your wits about you. First altos, I can't hear you at all. Nope, nothing, nada. Please sing up! Daly and McMeeks are outsinging you and there's only two of them!

9) Please be ready for the change (no, not that type of change Kathryn Hyde) from Mamma Mia into Dancing Queen. The descant starts straight away, and I would like as many people as possible to sing it, in whatever octave you are comfortable with it...

10) Hold onto your seventeeeeeeeen as long as possible at bar 267/8, top of page 37 (about 6 bars after you first come in with and when you get the chance) - it's longer than you think it is!

11) Those of you not singing the descant (ie anyone that isn't a soprano) at the end, remember the digging the dancing queens at the end, thankyou Ben Galloway for being the only one that did them... that's possibly a sign you listen to far too much ABBA.

12) Waterloo was fine, just remember the oh yeah at the end, NOT the ah, that has been SCRAPPED! Oh, and don't try and slow it down, we will go at my speed, and not yours! ;)

Right, I think that's about it, you need to be stepping up the game at this point, I don't know what sort of run-through time we'll get before the dress on Friday, and it is kind of worrying me that we've not actually got straight through everything in one go yet, and the lack of concentration yesterday was apparent. This can be good, no, it WILL be good....

Otherwise I'll set Kathryn Hyde on you.

Over and out.
Charlie (the nice one. or the bit of a dick, whichever.)

Post subject: Re: Gilbert, Sullivan and some Swedes.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:54 pm 

Charliiiie, thanks a lot for those notes and cues, that's really helpful ^^ ;)

Post subject: Re: Gilbert, Sullivan and some Swedes.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 am 

YES!

Jimmy does look amazing

That middle bit with the kick/turn/punches should be better now the dancers are also doing it. If anyone has any problems let me know, we will go through it.

Waterloo will be fine, we are nearly there - one more 'edge of the stage' move such as, tilting heads and swinging legs left-right-left-right, arms in the air; then we will have a few drags on 'So how could I ever refuse' and key change, then some high-energy kicking for the next part, followed by an improvised dance/embellism in seventies style. Ok? Actually, we probably don't even need to rehearse that, it's so effing clear,

I love you all. And to anyone who isn't in Jimmy: you are a loser. You have just missed out on possibly the best dance experience of your life*.

Finally, if you fuck it up I will kill your family. Jimmy that is, not ABBA.

Think that clears up which of us is the dick.

Love to you all,

Kitty.

*Apart from all the other dances, which are amazing and have changed my life. And also not including the people who just couldn't come to the rehearsals due to other commitments. Which is pretty much everyone**.

**Including me, a lot of the time.